This is a full-time/non-exempt term position lasting six months to one year
Research Assistant II (Radiation/Oncology)
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
This request is for a Term Clinical Research Analyst II in the Department of Radiation Oncology to support the department Principle Investigators work associated with clinical and translation research. Duties for this position include but are not limited to :
· Development and maintenance of research study protocol including draft management and amendment updates;
· Creation, submission and maintenance of regulatory documentation including amendments as appropriate (IRB and SRC); · Database management including creation, maintenance/management and data entry with close collaboration with Principle Investigators, senior research staff and bio-statistics team members. · Experience with REDCap or Microsoft Excel/Access highly preferred.
· Additional duties involve study recruitment and include tracking and identification of eligible, enrolled and declining research participants and performing and obtaining informed consent with eligible participants.
The candidate will also spend regular dedicated time participating in the execution of research protocol including administration of study surveys, questionnaires or other items and answering questions from participants/interested patients related to the study. Responsibilities also include regularly assisting in the performance of literature reviews relevant to study topics. Motivated candidates will have the opportunity to contribute to presentations and publications related to the research. This candidate will also have the opportunity for clinical exposure in the oncology setting, and therefore interest or experience in these areas will be considered
Under moderate supervision, conduct and evaluate experiments and assays
Understand and follow experimental protocols (may include animal handling, tissue culture, etc.)
Record, compile, interpret, and communicate data/results
Follow University safety protocols (may include use of combustibles, radioactivity, toxic material, and/or carcinogens)
Perform calculations involving molarity, % solutions, and serial dilutions
Prepare, operate and troubleshoot equipment in experimental procedures
Read and follow all equipment manuals
Maintain and repair equipment according to manufacturer and University guidelines
Ensure Laboratory is prepared for experiments
Maintain sterile conditions as required
Demonstrate an understanding of acceptable procedures and techniques
Recognize problems and suggest solutions
Assist in modifications as directed
Provide appropriate written documentation of experiments
Prepare preliminary research progress reports
Summarize test results appropriately
Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience)
2 years experience
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
· US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
· Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
· Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
· The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
· National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
· Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
· Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
· American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
A Term position is a staff position that exists for a period longer than six months but is not expected to last beyond one year. Although a position may exist for a specified or indefinite period, staff who accept term positions are not guaranteed employment for the entire period; they are employed for indefinite periods within the limit of the appointment. There are no guarantees of continued employment, either within the term or when the term ends.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.